Sunday, April 25, 2010

Reflection of My Classmates' Lessons

All of my classmates’ lesson plan presentations seemed to go very well also. Normally, a half an hour seems like a long time for a presentation, but for this particular one it went by so quickly. I think the girls who presented on days by themselves, as opposed to two groups going, were the only ones who got to finish their entire lesson plan. The bunny ear activity Marie and her partner did during their lesson really stuck out for me. I thought it was cute for the students to make their own bunny ears and wear them for the remainder of the lesson. Like we talked about in class, the way they used the three primary colors for the head bands could easily branch off into so many different other activities. I think that is what makes an excellent activity in the classroom. It is something that can be used in a multitude of ways.

The different teaching styles I witnessed throughout the lesson plans were also quite interesting. As we all know, teachers all teach differently and some methods work better than others. We got a firsthand account of this right in the classroom from watching each other. Some of the girls were more soft spoken and laid back. Some were the loud, disciplinarians. We all taught differently and with time and experience, hopefully we will all perfect the teaching style that works best for us.

My only critique about the lesson plans, which we did discuss in class on numerous occasions, is the language. When speaking to a classroom full of students, you can’t talk the same way you do when you’re out with your friends. I can be guilty of this as well. I’ve noticed that I sometimes slip and say things like “you guys.” The language issue is something we are all going to have to deal with at one point or another. Learning to watch our accents, slang, and the use of different phrases is a major part of being a good teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment